I will (try to!) post each week to give an update of what we have been doing. I would like to encourage you to bring up topics included throughout the week to remind your child(ren) of what they learned. Also, talking about Jewish topics during the week will show the kids that Judaism is important all of the time - not just on Sundays when they are at Sunday School.
Last week (week #1), we had a discussion in circle time about what it means to be Jewish. By the end of our discussion, each child was able to explain something that he/she does that is Jewish. Celebrating a holiday, a mezuzah on a door at home, a star of David necklace, etc. Keep this conversation going at home - talk about the meaning behind a Hebrew name, religious objects you have at home, say the Shema before bedtime. Just making mention of Jewish "stuff" encourages your child to be proud of his/her heritage. We also went on a Jewish item scavenger hunt around the building. While some items were easy to find (Torah, mezuzah), others were hidden away and required a bit of creative thinking. The gift shop was a big help in finding things like groggers and tallitot! The children took the scavenger hunt sheet home, giving them the opportunity to go on a similar hunt through their own home. I drew a parallel between their home and Sinai Temple as a home - both are special, sacred, safe, filled with people and things that we love.
This week (week #2), after a brief review of what it means to be Jewish, I moved on to our first major topic - Shabbat. We had a field trip to visit the sefer Torah. In addition to fitting in well because we just celebrated Simchat Torah, we talked about the very first words of the Torah - Bereshit barah Elohim - In the beginning, God created. We learned about all of the things that God created (light, dark, sky, water, land, sun, moon, stars, birds and fish, animals and humans) and about how that took a lot of power and energy. After doing all of this work, God needed to rest - shabbat. I also explained that God needs our help and has given us a superpower to create. God made trees but humans needed to figure out how to turn them into paper and houses. We finished the day as artists. Each child had a turn to add one element of creation to a canvas. Then, when it was my turn (as the seventh person) I didn't do anything - I rested. We made a second and similar piece of artwork. This time, I added and added and added - turning our art into mush. The kids understand that if God had not taken time to rest, the world would have turned into mush too. I hope to add pictures soon.
Finally, I have posted a snack list outside of the classroom. I would appreciate it if someone would respond and bring snack next week. Next time you are in the building, please sign up for one or two dates. We need snack for 8 people and I prefer the snacks to be healthy!
I am always happy to answer questions and welcome feedback. Thank you for being an active participant in your child's Jewish education!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.